Monday, May 24, 2010

Cocktails at Clarences

After having three people in three days mention this hip new bar in Mt Lawley, I had to add Clarences to my must visit list. I finally made it down there Friday night for an after work drink and was suitably impressed.

Although from the street it doesn’t look like much, inside it is a very classy little small bar. The décor is all wood panelling and chocolate browns and the lighting is so muted staff offer candles to punters looking to actually read a menu – even at 6pm when we arrived.

That said the bar has a great vibe and a drinks menu to match. My husband was thrilled to find a bar that displayed such a great range of high-end and small batch dark spirits (like Woodford Reserve) and I definitely appreciated the original cocktail list and extensive wine menu. I am a particular fan of European wines and enjoyed a glass of delicious Spanish red in an elegant stem-less wine glass.

We didn’t stay for dinner (this time) but there is a formal seated area for meals, or you can order your meal at the bar or one of the small tables scattered inside the bar and in the outdoor ‘beer garden’ area. If you are planning dinner, make sure you call and book a table well in advance as this is a small bar and seating is very limited. 

All in all, well worth a visit and I can see this becoming a regular for me for an elegant unhurried after work drink. 566 Beaufort St, Mt Lawley

No comments:

Post a Comment