Friday, June 10, 2011

What Do You Like About Yourself?

Ask any woman what they hate most about their body and your likely to get a quick response. Stomach, thighs, bum that's too big or too small, chicken wing arms - we've all got a list of flaws we're perpetually conscious of. But ask a woman what she thinks is her best physical attribute and she's likely to stare at you blankly. Trust me I know.

Seated across the table from a fashion stylist about to take me on a two hour shopping session for an article I was writing, I was asked to write down some key details about myself and my style. But when asked what are my best attributes I'd like to play up, I was floored. The truth is, I had always chosen my clothes by what would hide my flaws not to play up any assets and had absolutely no idea what attributes I actually liked. In the end I think I stuttered something about being tall.

The stylist told me in a very matter of fact way they I had 'great legs' and proceeded to dress me in a succession of cigarette-leg pants, tights and stretchy figure-hugging jodhpurs. It was an interesting experience and I ended up buying some clothes I wouldn't have normally worn. It also made me ask the question, why are women always so tough on ourselves?

I think it's high time we all celebrated our strengths instead of our failings, so what I want to ask you is -  what attribute to you like most about yourself? Don't be shy ladies, the answer is there if you look for it!

 If you want to know more about the styling experience, keep your eye on the Style section in The West Australian later this month for the full run down as well as the 'after' pictures of me in outfits the stylist chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment