Monday, June 13, 2011

It's Not You, It's Me

Break ups are always hard, no matter how amicable there are always hurt feelings on both sides. On Saturday I made the difficult decision to end one of my longest-term relationships. I felt ashamed and disloyal but I set my shoulders and did what had to be done.

After many, many years of having a mobile with 3 (in fact, I was one of the first Perth customers to take up the service), I have traded them in for... well... an older model and now have that shiny spanking new white iPhone I had been dreaming about through Telstra.

I have to admit, I wasn't Telstra's winning customer service that made me change - in fact my calls to their service centre to see what kind of deals they would do to move two phones over from a competitor were lacklustre to say the least. After being incorrectly transferred to the billing department I finally had a lovely lady with a barely understandable accent tell me 'there's nothing they can offer at this time'.

We also had to wait nearly an hour to even get a customer service assistant in the store to see us and then a further hour before the deal was done. However, now my husband and I actually have signal and can make and receive calls, check emails and surf the web pretty much everywhere in the metro area. Pretty amazing right? (please sense the sarcasm)

I actually think the service in the telecommunications industry in Australia is pretty darn lacking, but I guess that's a conversation for another day.

What I want to know today is, who have you had to break up with? Like me do you feel disloyal when you change brands or shop at a competitors store or do you waltz between suppliers without a care in the world?

3 comments:

  1. I broke up with my phone company not long ago as well. Although it seems one telco is pretty much as bad as the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on Telstra - a huge rant would be guaranteed!

    When I stopped working in the city and starting working from home, I had to find a new beauty therapist because going into the city to the lady who has been diligently waxing me for years was so inconvenient. I felt totally disloyal and was guilt ridden for a couple of weeks. I have since gotten over it, but changing salons when I'd been really happy with the service I had received was not as easy as I thought it would be.

    All I can say is Thank God I have a good hairdresser - makes it easy to resist the temptations of the Scoopon / Living Social / Daily Deals…!

    A happy customer is a loyal customer….most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dianne. Even when I was really unhappy with a haircut I got with my hairdresser I felt like I had to crank out my trenchcoat when I went to someone new. It felt wrong! Strange that.

    ReplyDelete